Just sent these images (plus those below) over to Crate Paper. They're of a Mother's Day album I've been working on all week in preparation for CHA. It's the first mini album I've ever done for CHA and I'm slightly nervous about giving it up because mini albums have a way of walking away from the showroom floor without explanation. I'm hoping this one stays in the booth for Crate Paper to take back with them after the show is over. If you're attending CHA and at the Crate Paper booth, this album will be on display for viewing. I'm not entirely sure what it's location will be within the booth, but I imagine it will either be on the counter near the catalogs or on the end table near the seating area (if they'll have it set up this time around). Feel free to take a peek at the album - I look forward to sharing it with those at the show!
I used Crate Paper's "Pink Plum" collection to create this lovely mini album. The album itself is from "Bo Bunny" - 6" x 6" Bare Naked Binder. I chose not to paint the album. I had a limited number of days to work on the album (it's still not finished, but close), so I decided to skip on painting the album and instead, focused on covering the album with pattern paper and embellishments. I even included some sewing, which is very unusual for me. Believe it or not, I own a top-of-the-line Husqvarna advanced sewing machine with all the bells and whistles. Eric purchased the machine for me four or five years ago when I was an obsessive, die-hard quilter. I used it for all of two years and then retired it to one of my dining room cabinets after falling in love with scrapbooking. I take it out only when I absolutely need it because it's extremely heavy. I'll admit, it was a bit of a challenge to figure out how to sew on paper today. My machine resents the material. After much tweaking, I finally figured out the problem. The presser foot pressure required increasing. After adjusting the pressure, all was well. Thankfully....
The Bo Bunny binder includes six chipboard pages. For variety, I've included an additional six to seven "photo" pages in the album. Each one is tucked between two chipboard pages . The photo pages are created using Paper Source's 4" x 6" pre-cut pinking cards. The pinking cards were recently discontinued, so they're not readily available anymore. Huge bummer...I know. I actually thought about using these cards in my last kit. That idea was thrown out after Paper Source told me that they were no longer available. What, no more pinking cards? Yep, they're close to obsolete - if you find'em, buy'em.
I've kept the album pages fairly simple. Each one is decorated with a 3" x 3" journaling/embellishment window (frontside: journaling/backside: embellishment). For consistency purposes, all windows are framed with dark brown cardstock.
These flowers were created using the Making Memories "Slice" machine. I've owned the machine for six months and this was my first time using it to create my own embellishments for use on a "real" project. I can't provide a full review of the machine because I'm still learning how to use it at this point in time. I have mixed feelings about it thus far, but it's an easily accessible option for creating a multitude of shapes from a variety of paper styles. I quickly realized after using the machine today that I'm due for a new blade already. I've used it only a dozen or so times...strange.
I colored the inside of the flowers using a gold gel pen. I applied a thin layer of dimensional adhesive to the colored areas and sprinkled glitter on top the flowers while the adhesive was still wet. I allowed the adhesive to dry fifteen minutes before adding the page to my album.
Working with Martha Stewart punches once again, I punched a 1" flower from dark brown cardstock and combined it with small circle label sticker and letter sticker. I centered the flower along the top edge of my journaling window as shown. To give the flower more dimension, I curled the flower petals forward using my fingers and added adhesive to only the center portion of my flower before adding it to the page.
This is my final embellishment window from today's progress - it won't be the last. There are more to come in the next couple of days. The above 3" flower is from the "Basic 2" card (Slice). I backed the flower with a light color pattern paper and a petite tan floral rub-on before topping it off with a orange ring chipboard piece and layered flower center w/rhinestone.
I have some big news to share with you this evening..I've been meaning to share it with you for a while, but the right time never really presented itself. I suppose now is better than never...I've joined the EntreARTistes design team!! I'll be contributing layouts & writing the occasional article for the French scrapbook publication this coming year. My first article is due shortly and I'm beyond excited about joining the team. The magazine is available to those of us in the US - it's distributed internationally via subscription. For more information about EntreARTistes, please visit here.
That about does it for this post! I'll return this weekend with more album photos and possibly, more good news. One quick note: Thank you for your comments concerning Crate Paper's latest products. I feel very lucky to share in the excitement of their new releases. They're even better in person...the first release, "Brook", will be available February, 2010.